
Oyo State government has urged residents to stop circulating unverified security information, warning that rumours risk undermining rescue operations and stoking public panic following last week’s attacks on schools around Ogbomoso.
In a statement on Wednesday, the Special Adviser on Security, Mr. Abayomi Fagbenro, said false reports could mislead security agencies, derail ongoing intelligence-led responses and erode public confidence at a time when authorities are intensifying efforts to free abducted victims.
“The Office of the Special Adviser on Security wishes to draw the attention of the public to the need for responsible reporting of security-related concerns,” the statement read. “Members of the public are urged to ensure that any information they communicate is accurate and verified, to avoid misinformation that may affect ongoing security operations and the confidence of the people.”
Fagbenro described two dangers: the spread of false information and the opposite problem of false negatives — where real threats are ignored or not reported. Both, he said, hinder timely action by security agents.
“Citizens are therefore advised to remain alert, observe carefully and report only what they know or have reasonably confirmed to the appropriate authorities so as to prevent avoidable security incidents,” the statement added. “Security is a collective responsibility, and every credible information provided to the relevant authorities helps to strengthen safety and peace in our communities.”
The advisory followed the circulation of a false report on Tuesday claiming that bandits had renewed an attack on Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso, and that the institution had been shut down. The claim, authorities said, was unfounded.
Tension in the Ogbomoso area remains high after gunmen attacked three schools on the outskirts of the town last Friday. Two teachers were confirmed killed: one shot during the assault and another allegedly beheaded after being abducted. Several students, children and staff remain missing.
State officials say security forces are intensifying operations to locate and rescue the abducted victims. As of the latest statement, seven students, 18 children and six teachers had not yet regained their freedom.
Authorities appealed to residents with verified information to report directly to the nearest police station, the Oyo State Security Network (Amotekun) or other official channels, rather than sharing unconfirmed claims on social media platforms that can exacerbate fear and complicate rescue efforts.
Security analysts and community leaders have repeatedly warned that misinformation during crises not only fuels panic but can compromise covert operations and expose rescuers and hostages to additional danger.
The Oyo government urged calm and vigilance, stressing collaboration between citizens and security agencies as essential to bringing the situation under control and preventing further loss of life.
Do you want to advertise with us?
Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event?
Contact us on WhatsApp +2348033617468, +234 816 612 1513, +234 703 010 7174
or Email: validviewnetwork@gmail.com
CLICK TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP


