Tension spread through Osogbo on Wednesday after suspected gunmen opened fire on the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
The shooting occurred shortly after Adeleke visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, following his collection of the Certificate of Return for his re-election.
Reports said the attack triggered an exchange of gunfire between the suspected attackers and the governor’s security personnel. The confrontation reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes before the attackers fled the area.
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles. He had travelled there from the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his victory in the governorship election.

Shooting Erupts After Palace Visit
An eyewitness said the governor had already left the palace hall when the gunfire began.
According to the account, the attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna vehicle through the Ita Olokan area. The shooting reportedly sent traders and residents around the palace into panic.
Several people abandoned their businesses and sought safety as the exchange of gunfire continued. The attackers were reported to have fled after security personnel returned fire.
Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the incident. Alimi said the governor’s security personnel repelled the attackers and that no casualty was recorded.
Attack Comes After Contentious Election
The incident comes just days after a governorship election that was marked by several reports of violence and gunfire in Osogbo.
Gunshots were reported at a collation centre in the city on Saturday as officials worked to complete the collation of results.
That wider backdrop makes Wednesday’s attack particularly significant. A shooting involving the convoy of a sitting governor shortly after he received his Certificate of Return adds another troubling episode to an election period already marked by political tension.
However, the identity and motive of the attackers have not been established. It would therefore be premature to assign political responsibility for the attack without evidence from security agencies.
ValidViewNetwork reports that the immediate priority is now the investigation into how armed men were able to approach the governor’s convoy near a major traditional institution in the state capital.
The incident also raises questions about security arrangements around political movements in Osun following the election.
No Casualties Reported
Despite the intensity of the shooting, authorities reported no casualties from the incident. The absence of casualties provides some relief, but it does not diminish the seriousness of an armed attack involving a governor’s convoy.
The incident also comes at a sensitive moment for Osun, with Adeleke beginning the post-election phase of his administration after securing another term.
Do you want to advertise with us?
Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event?
Contact us on WhatsApp +2348033617468, +234 816 612 1513, +234 703 010 7174
or Email: validviewnetwork@gmail.com
CLICK TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP
For now, the critical questions remain unanswered: who organized the attack, why the attackers targeted the convoy and how they gained access to the area.
Those answers should come from a transparent security investigation rather than political speculation. ValidViewNetwork reports.


