
PORTLAND, Michigan — A Michigan community is mourning the tragic loss of a 13-year-old girl who died by suicide just weeks after she was allegedly sexually assaulted by an adult during a weekend gathering.
The grieving parents of Mylah Thelen are now speaking out to raise awareness about youth mental health, school bullying, and the devastating stigma surrounding sexual violence.
Mylah was found deceased in her bedroom by her father, Robert Thelen, on the morning of March 29—exactly two weeks after her 13th birthday. Her death came roughly a month after she bravely confided in her parents that she had been raped.
According to her parents, Amy and Robert Thelen, the teenager revealed that during a February 21 sleepover at a friend’s house, the group relocated to another local residence. It was there, during a party game, that 18-year-old Blake Kozan allegedly assaulted her.
”She said that she didn’t want to do it, but didn’t know how to stop it,” her father recalled.
Criminal Charges and Social Media Admission
Following the disclosure, Mylah’s parents immediately transported her to a local hospital for medical evaluation and coordinated with law enforcement and the Montcalm Child Advocacy Center in Ionia County to conduct specialized interviews.
Court records reveal that Kozan has been formally charged with one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a felony carrying a maximum sentence of life in prison.
When confronted by local media outlets prior to his arrest, Kozan acknowledged having a sexual interaction with the victim but claimed he was unaware of her age. However, investigators noted that Kozan met the 12-year-old victim through a middle school student.
Furthermore, prosecutors are examining a since-deleted social media post attributed to Kozan, which appeared to acknowledge the crime:
“IK (I know) what I did was wrong and I’m owning up to it so if you wanna come kill me do so. I’ll stand still and do nothing about it hell I’ll even drop my location for ya.”
Kozan is currently being represented by public defender Walter Downes, who stated that his client will not be issuing any public statements. Court proceedings, including a preliminary examination, are scheduled to begin next month on June 8 and June 15.
Silent Struggles and a Legacy of Strength
In the weeks following the assault, the Thelens focused on supporting their daughter, consistently reassuring her that she was completely blameless. However, they now believe Mylah was privately enduring severe peer victimization at school.
”I think she was lying to me about everybody knowing about the incident and bullying her about it, because it was easier to hide it than to deal with it,” Robert Thelen stated, noting that the night before her death, the family had enjoyed a joyful evening discussing future plans. Mylah left a final note for her family, though the contents have not been publicly disclosed.
Mylah is being remembered by her community as a bright, fearless, and multi-talented young girl. Having faced bullying at a younger age, she turned to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at age nine, eventually thriving in both martial arts and competitive wrestling. Her family also described her as an incredibly creative spirit who loved painting, sewing, knitting, and spending time outdoors.
A Vow for Change
Transforming their profound grief into advocacy, the Thelen family has vowed to fight for structural changes in how schools and communities handle adolescent mental health and sexual assault reporting. They hope that sharing Mylah’s story will break the silence that often traps young survivors in isolation.
”We know there’s a bigger purpose behind our daughter’s sacrifice, and that’s to protect these kids,” her father said.
Do you want to advertise with us?
Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event?
Contact us on WhatsApp +2348033617468, +234 816 612 1513, +234 703 010 7174
or Email: validviewnetwork@gmail.com
CLICK TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP


