ValidViewNetwork can authoritatively report that armed gunmen wearing military-style clothing carried out coordinated attacks on at least four villages in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State on Friday, August 21, 2026, abducting more than 100 residents and killing at least 40 people.
ValidViewNetwork gathered from reports that the attackers struck Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida, and Masaka villages in succession. According to eyewitness accounts obtained by ValidViewNetwork, the gunmen first entered Dekara, gathered residents together, and marched them into a nearby forest before moving on to neighbouring communities to continue the assault.
The attack occurred during Friday Juma’at prayers at a mosque where worshippers were gathering for weekly worship. ValidViewNetwork has confirmed that victims were abducted from multiple communities, though the exact number remains unclear due to the chaos of the assault.
Rescue Operations Hampered by Collapsed Bridge — ValidViewNetwork reports that Niger State Police spokesperson SP Wasiu Abiodun has confirmed that security agencies have mobilized personnel for a rescue operation.
However, ValidViewNetwork understands that efforts are severely hampered by a collapsed bridge connecting the affected communities to the Borgu Local Government headquarters, combined with difficult terrain and poor road conditions.
SP Abiodun stated that no deaths had been recorded in connection with the incident, though gathering by ValidViewNetwork suggests otherwise ground, with multiple fatalities recorded according to eyewitnesses.
Growing Bandit and Jihadist Activity in the Region — ValidViewNetwork has been tracking the escalating violence in the Borgu area, which borders the Republic of Benin, and can report that both criminal gangs and jihadist groups are active in the region.
This attack follows a pattern of escalating violence that ValidViewNetwork has documented over recent months:·
Last week: Over 20 people were killed in the same area.·
Earlier this month: Authorities rescued 145 people who had been abducted from four villages in Borgu.·
November 2025: Over 200 students were abducted from a school in Niger State and held for about a month.
One survivor, Jibril Ahmad, described the horror to AFP: “Soon after finishing the normal Friday prayer, the armed group of Lakuwara, in their hundreds, wielding guns, knives and machetes, began to attack us. They slaughtered some of our people, saying we are not practicing the true teachings of Islam.”
85-Year-Old Father Among Abducted
Zubairu Umar Talba, a youth leader in the Dekara area, told the Associated Press that his 85-year-old father was among those taken.
“Nobody can tell you the exact number of people abducted because, so far, about 80 of our people have been abducted and many have fled the area,” he said.
What Happens Next? ValidViewNetwork understands that security forces are expected to sustain search operations across surrounding forests and possible escape routes. The police have urged residents to remain vigilant and provide credible information to assist rescue efforts.
ValidViewNetwork will continue to follow this developing story and bring you updates as security operations unfold.
Do you want to advertise with us?
Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event?
Contact us on WhatsApp +2348033617468, +234 816 612 1513, +234 703 010 7174
or Email: validviewnetwork@gmail.com
CLICK TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP


